4 Blocking Drills Volleyball Players Do To Move Along The Net Quickly
Blocking in Volleyball Drills That Keep You Balanced When Moving Along The Net
Blocking Drills Volleyball Beginners Do At Our Classes
One simple drill I do often for beginners is to have a player standing on a box on one side of the net.
Their hands and arms are penetrating over the net. I will hit into their blocking hands which should be angled towards the middle of my court before I hit the ball.
I will hit 10 - 12 balls into their block before giving them a chance to shake out their arms and do another set.
This gives the player a chance to get comfortable
- watching or reading the hitter
- interpreting the cues that the hitter is showing them and adjusting accordingly
- feeling a hard hit spike and getting use to having their blocking hands penetrating the other side of the net
- reinforcing how strong their shoulders need to be while pressing them over the net
Advanced Volleyball Blocking Drills
In every practice I do and I teach my coaches to do a blocking footwork sequence drill at the net.
It's a series of multi patterned steps and movements that the players do while moving in and out of their "loaded" ready blocking position and moving along the net.
The focus is to
- increase body control at the net while not touching the net
- moving along the net while not touching the net
- performing various jump series and footwork series while staying the same arm distance from the net without having to adjust their position
- using peripheral and wide vision to be able to see their hitter and feel their teammate blocking next to them without having to turn and look at them
Now hopefully from these volleyball block tips you've found out a sure way to increase the number of blocks you can successfully perform in a match.
How To Play Volleyball: Where Do You Go From Here?
We know where you need to go now! Here are three options:
- Learn more about Blocking by clicking one of the links in the Related Links below.
- Follow the suggested reading on our Sitemap page Learning How To Play (Sitemap)
- Or visit the pages in the How to Play Volleyball section in the drop down menu at the top of the page to get started.
Learn more about the Block, Blocking and Blockers
Blocker Footwork and Timing For Making A Good Block