Volleyball Dink How To Score A Kill With Five Fingertips On The Ball
The volleyball dink is a way to hit a ball while at the top of your spike jump slow your arm down to put your fingertips on the ball to push it over the net.
Three Steps To The Volleyball Dink:
1. Use your normal approach jump and armswing to attack after you've been set the ball
2. At the top of your jump, slow your armswing rotation down and contact the ball with your fingertips
3. Using fingertips only push the ball over the net, past the block to an open space on the opposing team's court floor
How To Do A Volleyball Dink
Step 1. Use Your Normal Approach Jump and Armswing
Use your normal three step or four step spike approach and fast speed armswing before contacting the ball.
Even though you may pre-plan in your mind to use the tip on your next play, you don't want to let the opposing team know what you plan to do.
Make sure your spike approach and spike jump and armswing rotation always looks the same..hard and fast and aggressive...until you reach the highest height of your spike jump then...
Step 2. Slow your armswing rotation down to contact the ball with your fingertips only
How to do a volleyball dink: Step 2. Slow your armswing rotation down to contact the ball with your fingertips only (Michael E. Johnston)
...during your armswing just before lifting off the ground,
- both arms swing back and then both arms swing forward...as you take the last two steps of your spike approach
- then you pull your hitting arm elbow back and keep it above the level of your ear...while in the air
At the height of your jump...After you pull your elbow back
Step 3. Use your fingertip pads to push the ball over the net and past the block
How To Do A Volleyball Dink:
Step 3. Use your fingertip pads to push the ball over the net and past the block (John O'Brien)
3. Using fingertips only push the ball
- over the net
- past the block
- to an open space on the opposing team's court floor
Push the ball over the net with your fingertips without letting the ball come to a rest in your hands.
How To Do A Volleyball Dink
Is the dink a legal hit?
For a volleyball dink to be a legal hit
- the ball cannot rest or come to a stop in the palm of your hand which makes it a "held ball" which is a fault
- the ball can't be lifted up an over the net or the block when in contact with the spiker's hand. This would make it a "lift" which a fault and would be called by the referee
Is a volleyball dink considered a kill?
A volleyball dink is considered a way to attack a ball.
This is because an attack which usually occurs on the third contact in a rally can take many forms.
It can be
You will be credited with a 'kill' if you score a point with a tip if it touches the floor before a digger can get to it.
A 'kill' is a statistical term used to give credit on the stat sheet to an attacker who scores a point with an attack hit which is what a tip is.
Can you tip or dink in beach volleyball?
In the indoor game when you learn how to dink in volleyball you contact the ball with your fingertips and the open palm of your hand facing the ground.
In the beach volleyball game an open palmed or open hand contact of the ball is not allowed.
It's a fault in the beach game if you contact the ball with your fingertips or an open hand.
You cannot open hand tip in beach volleyball.
You are allowed to close your fingers into a fist and poke the ball controlling it with your knuckles. Or you can tomahawk the ball contacting it above your head....
Or you can keep your fingers together and and shape your hand into the form of a 7 or more commonly called like a 'cobra' and contact the ball not on the pads of your fingers but with the tips of your fingers.
Where Do You Go From Here?
No need to guess where you need to go now? Here are three options:
- Learn more about Volleyball Words by clicking the related links below.
- Follow the suggested reading on our Sitemap page Learning How To Play (Sitemap)
- Or visit the pages in the Girl Guide section in the drop down menu at the top of the page to get started.
- Before leaving this page Say "Hi" to Mr T.T. MUGB the Lion, wearing the #7 jersey below.